The first step is to prepare an Excel file containing your employee data using the right data fields. To help you out with this, there is a template available [also for InternetSpiegel] that contains all essential data fields, as well as an explanation on why each data field is required.
Download and copy paste your employee data in the Excel template! Add more columns if needed in any order you prefer.
Tip: If you’re using an HR system, export your employee data to an Excel file and copy paste the data in the template.
Here is an overview of which data fields to add a why. After all, the way your data is organized is key for insightful results.
- Include e-mail addresses. For employees that don’t have an email-address, you can download hard-copy invitations. You can leave that data cell empty.
- Include unique IDs (Mandatory!) for each employee in your file. This field is necessary to send your employees online survey invites and distinguish between employees. If you don’t have unique numbers for your employees, you can add unique numbers.
- Include a first name and a last name This way we can personally address your employees in their survey invites and questionnaires.
- Include a column with language codes to set each employee’s preferred language. This helps us send your employee’s invitations and surveys in the right language.
- Include the organizational levels your employees belong. Having all the relevant organizational levels in your employee data is essential for building your organizational structure later on. A complete and accurate organizational structure is key for assigning coordinator rights and obtaining insightful survey results.
How to build organizational levels? First make sure all employees are assigned to level 1: your organization. Next, add columns for the regions, departments, manager teams, units and teams that your employees are part of, and assign the right group name to each employee See the example below.
- Add a manager column and assign the right manager's name to each employee. With this information we can easily group your employees in teams. Correct manager information is also necessary to assign coordinator rights to managers. As coordinators, managers can manage projects, create surveys and/or view survey results for their teams. Note: If you want managers to also receive surveys, don’t forget to add them to your file as employees.
- (optional)Add more employee characteristics such as age, gender, salary scale, tenure, educational level etc. This can give you even more insightful results.
- When planning an Onboarding or Exit project, add the following columns: “Onboarding yes/no” and Exit: yes/no”)
- Make sure to add information in accordance with our data processing agreement (processing instructions),
- Make sure you always use the European date format (mm-dd-yyyy).
Clicking “select and upload file”.
Choose a non-encrypted file, in .xls, .xlsx or .csv format with column headers.
Tip: .CSV files, or Comma-Seperated Value files, offer some advantages over Excel files as .CSV files do not store formatting information. If you encounter issues with getting the data in the correct format when uploading an excel file, try saving it as .CSV and upload it again.
Wait for the upload to be complete.. You will then be redirected to a validation screen. My Effectory has identified the two most relevant column headers in your Excel file, “Email address” and “Employee identifier (ID)” and is now asking you to validate these.
Validate the email-address column or select the relevant column,
Note: These do not need to be unique and will be the addresses we send invitations to.
The system looks at the column titles to see if it can identify a column for you. If it finds one, it will select the column as you reach the screen.
Validate the employee-ID column or select the relevant column.
Note: The employee ID must be unique for each row in the file. If there is more then one column containing unique employee identifiers, My Effectory will select the first one.
Don’t have unique employee ID’s? If your organization does not have unique ID’s it is possible to use e-mail addresses as identifiers. To do this, you will have to make a copy of the e-mail address column and flag this copied column with the header “Employee ID”. Please note: when email address is used for the employee ID this needs to be an unique value.
Fix duplicate Unique IDs.
In order to properly assign data to the right employee, it is important that all IDs are unique. When uploading your data file, My Effectory will do a check on this and indicate if there are duplicate Unique IDs in the file. If that is the case, you will see the message below:
Select which employee you want to keep by checking it and clicking "Next" if there are any more duplicate unique IDs or clicking "Complete upload."
After you have completed these steps, the upload process is complete. The system is now parsing the file and importing the employees. This processing happens in the background, so it will not block you from doing something else. You can even close the tab and come back later. While it is processing you see this screen.
Please sign in to leave a comment.